Wednesday, June 6, 2018

Gratitude

With the sad breaking news of Kate Spade committing suicide it has me thinking about mental health and depression this morning. I’m currently on a family vacation with more “quiet time” than usual. It has been awhile since I have been able to unplug with my wife and kids. In fact, this has been our first true family vacation since getting married 2 1/2 years ago. We have taken numerous trips but usually for events or football games etc. Has it been a perfect start?  Honestly , no it hasn’t. But has it been worth it?  Absolutely!

What does all this have to do with depression?  Without a doubt neurotransmitters and neurobiology play an important role in depression. Substance abuse is another large player. I don’t want to talk about that though. Those issues without a doubt need medical and professional help. But there is something that not only assists with those conditions but can assist all of us in every day life. GRATITUDE.

First of all, nothing in life is or will ever be perfect. We will all have our ups and downs. Our mountains and valleys.  I’ve had my share of valleys. More than I care to count. But even in my not so perfect times I have had so much to be grateful for. Even in my lowest place there was much to be grateful for and that helped to persevere.

For me, gratitude is all about perspective. It’s a choice. For instance, I woke up this morning to look out at the pool and notice that my 12 year old left his slides down by the pool while swimming last night. I could choose to be angry that he left them or that I need to walk down there and get them before they “walk off” with someone. Or I can choose to be grateful that I get to wake up overlooking the Atlantic Ocean and sip on my coffee while I stroll to grab his slides and bring them back upstairs while they are still asleep.  After all, I could be getting ready to head into work instead. I can be grateful I have 2 pretty awesome boys....not perfect by any means but still pretty awesome.  I can be grateful I have a wonderful wife that has taken on the huge responsibility of not only dealing with me and my imperfections but has also chosen to be a step-mom to those 2 awesome boys who are still two teenagers and have many not so awesome moments.

Gratitude helps me to be less likely to take anything for granted. Gratitude helps me stay grounded. Gratitude helps me keep my priorities in check. Gratitude reminds me that life is pretty amazing. Now, I by no means do this perfectly but I do have so much to be grateful for. In fact we all do....no matter the current situation.

What are you grateful for today?


No comments:

Post a Comment